Queensland Rugby League late this afternoon (Friday March 27, 2020) confirmed the cancellation of the Intrust Super Cup competition in 2020 due to the ongoing public health emergency.
The unprecedented decision to bring a premature close to the Intrust Super Cup was made in the interests of the health and safety of players and staff.
QRL managing director Robert Moore in a statement acknowledged the enormity of the decision, which comes after the initial move to suspend the competitions after round 1 earlier this month.
PNGRFL CEO Reatau Rau said a statement would be released early next week after consultations are held with all our stakeholders and partners regarding the SP Hunters.
“It is a heartbreaking decision for the rugby league community in PNG and abroad including our valued partners and sponsors, but it’s a call that had to be made given the current circumstances,” Rau said.
“As soon as we have had discussions with our partners and stakeholders, a statement will be released during next week regarding the SP Hunters players and staff,” Rau said.
< BACK TO NEWS